Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Day To Remember

Friday was a busy day what with errands, computer work, appointments, and it wasn't until afternoon that I even realized it was Good Friday. That's half a day gone by without stopping to think of what that day commemorates: Christ's ultimate sacrifice.

I don't tend to stop and think about these things often enough. I'm too busy doing... stuff. Most of the things I do with my time I won't remember an hour later much less a decade later. But the events that started with desperate prayers in a garden and ended with a stone rolled in front of a tomb will be remembered forever.

As will the events we celebrate today, Easter Sunday - the day we celebrate His resurrection and His victory over death. It's the day we celebrate the opportunity of new life in Christ. And it's a day I'm determined to take the time to stop and remember.

I'll remember that God gave His only Son to die for the sins of the world. I'll remember that Christ left paradise to humble Himself with humanity, to pay my penalty, to endure hatred, to be beaten and scorned and hung on a cross. There are no time limits to the memory of His suffering, His humility, His grace, His forgiveness.

These things are timeless.

May we all stop today to remember the greatest of all sacrifices, the greatest of all miracles, the greatest of all love.

Happy Easter!

But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5

No comments: