Saturday, January 31, 2009

Football And Fiction

My Steelers are in the Super Bowl this weekend, so I'm a bit distracted... BUT, I managed to put the finishing touches on the manuscript of Cottonwood Whispers, the sequel to Fireflies In December. It looks like Tyndale intends to put Cottonwood Whispers out this September, and I'm looking forward to having everyone enjoy the continuation of Jessilyn and Gemma's story.

This book will pick up four years after the end of Fireflies In December, when Jessilyn is 17, and a little older and wiser... but still young enough to step into some trouble. For those of you who are reading Fireflies In December, take an extra glance at Mr. Poe, who will be center stage in the sequel.

The trials Jessilyn faces in this new book won't be based so much on racial prejudice, but on prejudice of another sort. She will learn even more about how unfair life can be and experience firsthand the reality that things don't always go as we'd hope, even though God is in control.

So put Cottonwood Whispers on your calendar for September. I'll give you updates as they come. In the meantime, I hope you enjoyed, or are currently enjoying, getting to know Jessilyn and Gemma.

A quick update! This Valentine's Day, I will be signing at the Glen Allen, VA Family Bookstore from 12-3. So stop by. I'd love to see you there! More signings will follow, and I'll post them here as they approach.

9 comments:

C.J. Darlington said...

Congratulations! What a great feeling to finish up a book (for now at least). I usually have a mixture of excitement and sadness because it's like I'm saying good bye to the characters, too.

Jennifer Valent said...

Thanks, C.J. It's definitely nice to finish up, but you're right, it is only for now. There could be a lot of changes in editing. :)

Fortunately, I have a book three to write, so I'll be able to stick around with these characters for a while longer.

Ethan M. said...

Ah, I can't wait to read the next one! I'm sure it'll be just as good (if nor better) than the first! Oh, and by the way...GO STEELERS!!!

Ethan M. said...

Whoohoo! They did it! I was worried for a moment...

Rachel said...

That game was a gut-wrencher. I know I was a sissy but I had to look away a few times. Jennifer I hope you still had all your fingernails for your interview!

Ethan M. said...

Haha! You shouda seen my mom! Hands buried in her face! But MAN it was a good game. Nothing compared to last year though.

Jennifer Valent said...

That game was ridiculously tense! Honestly, didn't they know I had an interview today?? They could have made it a blowout to give me a break. As it was, I was losing my voice from a cold, so I was limited to clapping and jumping out of my seat. No yelling! Ethan, you know how tough that was for me!

Fortunately, Rachel, my fingernails survived as well as my voice, and all went well with the interview. Thanks to everyone who said a prayer for me!

Here's to the black and gold!!

Ethan M. said...

Haha! You? Not screaming during a game? That DOES seem strange. Hm, anyways, when your interview gets posted online post it here, on your blog!...You DO know how to do that right?

Jennifer Valent said...

Umm... do I know how to do that? Of course I... don't! But I'm sure you can tell me, so send me an e-mail and explain.